Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Gipsy Kings by the Gipsy Kings




I'm sorry I have not posted for a while.  My wife had hip surgery and I was helping her.  Today I listened to The Gipsy Kings album.  The Gipsy Kings are members of two related families: the Reyes and the Baliardos (Reyes means Kings in Spanish). They are cousins of the flamenco great Manitas de Plata whose granddaughter lead guitarist Tonino Baliardo married. Nicolas, Canut, Paul, Andre and Patchai Reyes are sons of flamenco singer Jose Reyes. The Gipsy Kings are: Nicolas Reyes: lead vocals, guitar, Paul Reyes: backup vocals, guitar, Canut Reyes: backup vocals, guitar, Patchai Reyes: backup vocals, guitar, Andre Reyes: backup vocals, guitar Diego Baliardo: guitar, Paco Baliardo: guitar, Tonino Baliardo: lead guitar
Chico Bouchikhi was also a member of the Gipsy Kings, but quit after the album Mosaique.
 They are a group of musicians from Arles and Montpellier, France who perform in Gitane, a dialect of Spanish that is heavily influenced by French and Catalan. Although group members were born in France, their parents were mostly gitanos, Spanish Romani people who fled Catalonia during the 1930s Spanish Civil War, with the exception of Chico Bouchikhi who is of Moroccan and Algerian descent. They are known for bringing Rumba Catalana, a pop-oriented music distantly derived from traditional flamenco music, to worldwide audiences. Their music has a particular Rumba Flamenca style, with pop influences; many songs of the Gipsy Kings fit social dances, such as Salsa and Rumba. Their music has been described as a place where "Spanish flamenco and Romani rhapsody meet salsa funk"

The Self titled Gipsy Kings was their third album and was released in 1988.  The track listin is as follows;

"Bamboleo" – 3:25 is a version of a Venezualan folk song called"Caballo Viejo" by Simón Díaz from a lyric by Venezuelan poet Angel Eduardo Acevedo, which appears on the 1980 album Caballo Viejo. It has become one of the most important folk songs in Venezuela and is already regarded as a classic. The Gipsy Kings had a worldwide hit with their version of the song recorded under the title "Bamboleo". The Lyrics are:
The kind of love arrives this way, It's not its fault. Horse that dances in vain, Because it's so very scorned that's why, It won't forgive your crying.  That kind of love arrives this way, It's not its fault.  Love bought and sold. Love from the past, come on come on

Tu Quieres Volver" – 3:15 This song was covered by Sarah Brightman on her Album Time to Say Goodbye.  The transalation is You want to come back, but I don''t see you anymore,  You want to come back, but I don't feel for you anymore.
"Moorea" – 4:05 This is a guitar piece written about a beautiful Island in French Polynesia.


"Bem, Bem, Maria" – 3:03  The Lyrics are:.  They are don't go away Come back now, do not leave me, the same way like a little girl. Don't go away, come back now,don't leave me, Don't tell me ole, the same way you have abandoned me Well, well Maria, I love you.  Well well Maria I adore you.
"Un Amor" – 3:40  Translation One love, I lived one love crying and it told me God's words crying for you It's with love.
"Inspiration" – 3:28
"A Mi Manera" (My Way) – 3:52. The lyrics are a loose translation of the Song "My Way by Paul Anka.
"Djobi Djoba" – 3:27   Along with other hits from the same album such as "Bamboleo" and "Un Amor", Djobi Djoba helped rocket the Gipsy Kings to Europe popularity, before their popularity was brought over to America in 1989. In 1989, Gipsy Kings was released in the US and it spent 40 weeks on the charts, one of very few Spanish Language albums to do so. The lyrics transalated are
Hey Baby
I can not find you lonely on the streets
I feel in love
I feel sad and lonely

Djobi, Djoba, each day I love you more (repeat 6 times)
I don't care of the distance
I won't be away from you
I will be remembering you
and don't tell me paraguay, ay, ay.

"Faena" – 3:45 is a wonderful instrumental piece.
"Quiero Saber" – 4:1 I want to know what matters to me about you. And get aquainted with a new love, And your way of being I never came to understand, And your eyes crying one day for me.
"Amor, Amor" – 3:13 I remember one day I was going to meet you.  You were alone on the street. You were waiting for me Love Love etc.
"Duende" – 4:22 Another Instrumental piece.

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving
.

No comments:

Post a Comment